Monday, February 14, 2011

Egg Pancakes

At some point during week 2 of the Trial That Would Never End, Sarah was craving egg pancakes. Egg pancakes are something that I had never heard of, growing up in New Jersey. That is because it is an Iowan food.

And, like most Iowan food, people from Iowa are completely unaware of their food's regionality. So, the first time Sarah told me about egg pancakes, I was bewildered. And so was she. She couldn't believe that I hadn't heard of them.

Since then, I have become a fan of this part-crepe/part-pancake dish. The lovely recipe is from Sarah's mom, who I presume got it from her own mother.

Egg Pancakes

  1. 3 beaten eggs
  2. 1/2 C flour
  3. 1T sugar
  4. 1T oil
  5. 1C milk
The instructions for the egg pancakes are simple, like the recipe for most pancakes are. Mix the ingredients. Pour into a hot, greased pan. Flip, cook some more, roll, and eat.

The key part of egg pancakes is to make them really really thin, which reminds me of crepes. But the batter is unmistakably pancake-y. I like these because I generally think regular pancakes are much too doughy. But the egg pancakes are slightly more savory, due to the egg, and are very light and airy.

Once they're cooked, Sarah then spreads some butter on top and sprinkles some cinnamon. Then, it is rolled up and eaten like a Taco Bell meximelt, if you remember what those looked like before they changed them into a taco shape.

Sarah tells me that, growing up, her mom would make these and serve them for dinner. This is bizarre to me because they are pancakes and they taste like a chewy Cinnamon Toast Crunch. But, I suppose breakfast for dinner is, and always was, pretty popular, so I let it go. What's ironic though, is that Sarah can't seem to get over how Koreans eat dinner-type foods for breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment