Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Beer Batter Fish and Sweet Potato Chips

I had my annual intense craving for massive amounts of tartar sauce last week. We also had a couple of baramundi fish filets in our freezer that I have been trying to figure out how to eat. We also had some frozen peas in the freezer that I had been meaning to get rid of. So I decided I would beer batter up some fish and chips. I used miller light as the beer so that it would stay light for a tempura-like effect. Serves two.

Ingredients List
  1. 1 Sweet Potato
  2. 2 filets of fish
  3. a bunch of flour, maybe a cup
  4. 1-2 cans of light beer
  5. 48oz of frying oil (I use canola or smart balance oil
Condiments
  1. soy sauce
  2. rice wine vinegar
  3. tartar sauce
Put your oil into a dutch oven. Turn the burner on high to get things going, then adjust as necessary. Watch that it doesn't get above 350 or so. I am looking to fry at a temperature between 325 to 350.

With a mandolin, slice your sweet potato into thin disks. Or, if you no longer have yours because you threw it out after watching an episode of Hoarders, use a knife.

Cut your filets into small fish chunks. I like chunks that are between fish sticks and fried fish sandwich filets in size.

Pour a bunch of flour into a mixing bowl. I am not sure how much I used. Crack open a beer can. Drink some. Then pour the rest slowly into the bowl. Mix the batter until it gets a little bit looser than pancake batter.

Once the oil gets to about 350 degrees, drop some sweet potato slices into the batter to coat and then drop into the oil. They will float. Give them about 30 seconds to a minute per side. A spider works well for this. Remove to a cooling rack that will let the excess oil drain away.

After you've cooked the sweet potato slices, do the same for the fish. As long as your pieces aren't too thick, you should be able to take the fish out of the oil when the batter starts to crisp up.

With the fish, we used tartar sauce. With the sweet potatoes, a mixture of soy sauce and rice wine vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment