Friday, January 21, 2011

Buffalo Dip

To go with the brisket I made for my Bears Game Day spread, I made Buffalo Dip. This is a recipe that Sarah got from a friend. From the moment I tried it, I knew I had to have the recipe. At the time, I was going through a year-and-a-half-long, insatiable craving for wing sauce. And this just hit the spot.


Buffalo Dip:
  1. chicken: Cube 1 chicken breast and saute in a fry pan. The original recipe calls for 10 oz of canned white chunk chicken drained. But there is very little that I find appetizing in the phrase, "canned white chunk chicken drained."
  2. 1 package (8oz) cream cheese: spread this into the bottom of a small casserole dish. put the cooked chicken on top.
  3. 0.5 C buffalo sauce: I make my own for this. frank's red hot and melted butter is the base for this. it's the bechamel of the buffalo sauce world. I added soy sauce and honey mustard to mine as well. Pour it on top of the cream cheese and chicken.
  4. 0.5 C ranch dressing: pour it on top of the cream cheese, chicken, and buffalo sauce. 
  5. 2 C (8oz) shredded colby-jack cheese: sprinkle on top. it's a lot of cheese. but that's a good thing here.
  6. bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This recipe comes out perfect every time. Usually, we serve this with some thick corn chips. There is a local brand that we buy up here. It's in a yellow bag. The same company makes a chip in a green bag (extra salty) and a red bag (spicy) too. The yellow bag is plain. And it is perfect with the Buffalo Dip. 

The best bite of the Buffalo Dip is the first bite. Digging in with that first chip is like walking on top of snow that has a thin layer of freezing rain on it. A little bit of resistance, then a crackly sound as you break through the thin, micro-layer of ice, and then a push into the snow. Or, you can think of eating the Buffalo Dip as like when you gently crack the top of a creme brule. Except this is so much fattier, and doused in ranch. 

I don't know why, but the cheese never seems to keep that savory crustiness after that first bite.

When Sarah and I sit down to a dish of the Buffalo Dip, we can never get through more than half of it, which leaves us a nice amount of leftovers to snack on throughout the rest of the day.

This was the first time I had used a honey mustard in my buffalo sauce. I had bought it last summer when Sarah's family had come to visit. I wanted to get rid of it, so I put a ton in. When I tasted the sauce, I was a little bit concerned. The honey mustard that I had bought was not a good one. Really, it tasted like yellow mustard with sugar in it. And now, my buffalo sauce tasted like that. Fortunately, by the time it all got cooked, the extra sugariness disappeared. In its place, it seemed to make the sauce spicier. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that sugar makes your tongue more sensitive to spice. But I could be wrong on that one. 

By the way, this Buffalo Dip makes you want to take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment